Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 10 - Apalachicola

How could I be more wrong?! Okay, let's back up a second....

Prior to this trip, reach rider must investigate 1-2 cities to present to the group. This presentation happens in the morning of the ride to the city, so everyone knows what to expect and where to go or what cool things to see, not to mention the current state of affordable housing in that city. Mine were Tallahassee and Apalachicola.

In my research, I read news of a town that seemed to be not doing quite well, because of a declining oyster population (their main industry). While this still seems true, the town still looks great and is an extremely friendly and hospitable town. While i expected a rundown town, it is the essence of a quaint and friendly town, with beautiful streets, homes, and a location on the water. After we arrived, Hannah and I went for a swim with some local children underneath the bridge that we just rode over, which in itself was a very fun and hilarious adventure. Before dinner, we went out for some coffee and to look around. We ended up at a small local restaurant/bar and enjoyed some excellent craft beers and a delicious crab dip. When we finally made it back to the host site, our nostrils were filled by the smell of the delicious low country boil that our wonderful hosts made for us. Can I say delicious? Oh yeah... it was all that and more.

All in all said, I think that Apalachicola has far exceeded my expectations and I will remember that small town of less than 3000 people for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment