Friday, May 23, 2014

Day 5 - Palatka



Rolling in from a significantly larger city, (St Augustine), the change to a much smaller town today has been quite the difference. As we rode through the farm fields full of potatoes and corn, I was reminded strongly of my hometown of Jamesport, NY.

As always, we find fun ways to pass the time during our ride days. Although today was a shorter day, we found the time to climb a fire tower, what a view!





Even time for some goofing off...



What can I say about Palatka? While it is a very small town, the town is very quaint and nice. Immediately upon our arrival, we got a tour of all of the town's grand murals on the sides of old buildings by one of our hosts.

By the way, Laura might have gotten in a little bit of trouble in town...



Just kidding!

Our hosts this night set us up in their church (air conditioning!) and provided us with a lovely spaghetti dinner.  I cannot describe how great a home cooked meal tastes these days!  I'm glad to be carbo loaded for tomorrow's 80 mile ride!

As this trip goes on, I continue to be very amazed and impressed by the stories and varied pasts of all of our riders. Each and every one comes from quite a different background, but everyone is getting along great! I daresay that this group has done of the best group dynamic that I've ever seen or heard of, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of this summer plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment