Tuesday, February 4, 2014

An Open Letter to Webbies of All Ages

As I've been planning out how to raise awareness for my Bike & Build trip, I've contacted a lot of different people and talked to a number of different groups and organizations about my trip. Going out on a limb, I sent an email to the webmaster of Webb Institute, my Alma Mater, to see if Webb would be interested in joining with me in raising awareness for my trip by featuring me in one of their "Alumni Spotlights." Lo and behold, they agreed!  To be featured in an alumni spotlight, I needed to write an article of no more than 250 words, which would be linked to on the home page of Webb's website after garnering the appropriate approval.


As I sat down to diligently write my article for the website, I quickly found that I could not write just 250 words.  In fact, I went far beyond my 250-word limit.  Well, I took that long article, chopped it down, tweaked it a bit, and that is now viewable HERE.  Thankfully, I still held on to that original article and now I shall post it as an open letter right here on my blog.  While many of the things said in the article are duplicated elsewhere on this website, I thought that some people might like to read the original.  Here it is, for everyone to see:

"
It hasn’t even been 4 years since I left Webb and took my place with DRS Technologies as a Junior NA, but I’ve already been faced with another decision almost as life-changing as saying “yes” to Steven Ostendorff in 2006, regarding my acceptance to Webb.  A year ago, I was wondering how I’d be able to run my second-ever 5K after a long winter’s rest, but now I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to manage riding a bicycle across the US.

I’ve been active since Webb in volunteering on a small scale, such as working with a local theater and miscellaneous small events, but I’ve yet to do something that will take me away from my job and everything comfortable in my life for any significant amount of time, not to mention a few months.  That was until last October, when I first heard about this charitable organization dedicated to the need for affordable housing in the US by raising funds and awareness through yearly cross-country bicycle trips.  This organization is called Bike & Build, and the prospect of riding in one of their trips took hold in my brain and festered for only a couple weeks before I finally decided to commit 100% to it.

I will not be alone on my upcoming cross-country trip.  Every summer, Bike & Build arranges for 8 different groups of up to 34 cyclists (each) to cross this country from east to west in support of affordable housing.  As part of the Bike & Build Southern US (SUS) route, I will be riding across the US on bicycle from Jacksonville, FL to Monterey, CA (approx. 4060 miles).  During this trip, we will be not only be spreading awareness of the affordable housing crisis in every town that we come to and continuing to raise money for the cause, but we’ll also be stopping to volunteer our time at 12 separate affordable housing build sites along the way.  Over the course of the summer, I look forward to spending a total of 17 days building and 56 days riding from town to town (an average of 72 miles per day).  Along the way, I will be writing journal entries and posting pictures on my blog at http://crosscountrydan.blogspot.com, so please stay tuned for stories from the road!

I’ve been reading about student volunteer work in the WebbNews and I think that it’s a wonderful thing!  I’ve had the chance to help out at a few events during my time at Webb, but in retrospect, I could’ve done much more.  I highly encourage all Webbies, past and present, to get involved in your local communities and become aware of the world issues around you.  It is not only important that we stay on top of the big social issues now, but that we continue to do so throughout our lives.  I don’t know if one person alone can make a difference in the world, but if we all embrace the task of change on a personal level and do our best with what we have, I believe we might just make a collective difference.  I challenge everyone to consider this and to make the decision to start making that change from the inside out.  Find out what needs to change in you, then when you make those needed changes, you’ll be able to see more clearly about the true change needed in the world around you and how you can help.

Yours Truly,
Daniel Snyder (’10) 
"

No comments:

Post a Comment