Wednesday, February 12, 2014

First Ride (Wow, It's Cold!)

I finally took my new Bike & Build bike on a test ride!  Knowing that a winter storm was on its way, I left work before it got dark to ride my favorite nearby trail, the Kent Island Cross-Island Trail.  Although I brought workout clothes to work with me to wear, I quickly realized the error of my ways when I hopped on the bike and started pedaling... boy, did my feet freeze up quickly!  Next time, I shall remember to wear my thick SmartWool socks and not my thin work dress socks (sigh).

Check out those white handlebars!
Nevertheless, I toughed out the miles in below-freezing temperature and ended up putting on a solid 11 miles on my first ride.  As you might know, I have 500 training miles to complete before I start on my Bike & Build journey, so now there are only 489 left to go!

By the way, coming from a mountain biking background, I'll first say that this Giant Defy 2 is a true work of art compared to the heavy, rugged frames that I'm used to.  It takes so much less effort to get up to speed and cruise than on a mountain bike (even with road tires), which is fantastic on the paved Cross Island Trail.  On the other hand, those bumps along the way sure hurt a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment