Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 24 - Baton Rouge

Although I had no idea what to expect of Nola, our stop there proved to be much too short and I'm left wishing that we could have had one more day off as a group there. Too much to do and too many things that I'd like to see for our limited time outside of working for affordable housing, but sightseeing is not what this trip is ultimately about, do I'll just leave with the knowledge that I'll be back again.

Perhaps I'm just missing the time off of my bicycle, because today was one of the longest bike rides of the summer at 115 miles! Although the distance was tough, much of our ride was on a paved trail on top of the levee leading all the way from Nola to Baton Rouge. Although we followed the levee the whole way, not all of the trail was paved, so we had to get back on the main road while passing through 'cancer alley', a series of refineries and chemical/oil plants. Talk about a bad smell! I couldn't imagine living near those plants for any extent of time and I truly feel for those who do.

After a slow start with a bunch of flats in my riding group, I didn't think that is make make it to Baton Rouge, but here I am! Not much happening tonight... we are all quite exhausted and headed to bed as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment